Thursday, September 8, 2016

Preschool and a lesson

It's been nearly two weeks since Jameson started preschool and he has continued to amaze me at how well he's doing. Just this summer we spent a month in the hospital recovering from surgery and dealing with his ongoing battle with sleep apnea. Now I look at him going to school and it's something I never imagined in my wildest dreams. Today we actually let him be there by himself without me or grandma standing in the hallway in case an emergency happened. I'm just flabbergasted at how easy the transition has been for him.

I've learned quite a lesson during this experience of allowing him to go to school and spread his wings....I constantly underestimate him. It's not something I do intentionally. I think after all the hospital stays and sleepless nights of oxygen and feeding pumps, I just couldn't imagine a time when this would be possible. I thought it will be far too much for him; he will be over-stimulated and overwhelmed. And yet, I seem to be the only one overwhelmed. Overwhelmed with the feeling that I think a lot of other typical parents have, does my child still need me the same way he used to? Of course he does in a sense, but dropping him off at school and watching him light up to see the other kids and teachers shows me that his world has now expanded beyond our living room. Beyond the house he's known his whole life and the people who've always been there. His eyes have opened up to a whole new universe out there. And he deserves it.




No comments:

Post a Comment