One of the most difficult things to overcome in life is comparing yourself to others. I find myself often comparing Jameson to other kids. Typical kids. Special needs kids. Kids with epilepsy, etc. Its like I'm always trying to find where he fits in some way or another. Over time, I've realized he doesn't really fit anywhere. He's like a special sauce; with some ingredients you recognize and some that are a secret to only his maker up in heaven.
So when he makes little accomplishments in life, they are extra special to me. It can take such a long period of time for him to do things but once he does, they are so incredibly amazing to watch. One example that really sticks out in my mind is his smile and laugh. I don't think little man purposely smiled until well after his 1st birthday. It took even longer to get him to laugh, and when he first started doing these things it would be a rare occurrence. I can happily say that now at almost 3 years old, Jameson smiles and laughs every single day. He talks all day long! (Well, his version of talking which is more like a bellow) :-) He watches you smile and smiles back! If you had told me this 2 1/2 years ago I would've thought, wow that's all he's doing at 3 years old? But experiencing it completely changes your outlook.
Another thing that has made me a proud mom lately is his working towards sitting. Its been coming along very slowly over the years with weekly physical therapy, but he wants to do it and is trying. I couldn't be more grateful to the fact that he always tries so hard to do these things that his body just doesn't allow him to do very easily. He could just stop trying after 3 years of not getting it, but he wants to hold his head up and sit. He wants to move his legs and hopefully walk someday. He's an amazing little man!
To say I'm proud would probably be the understatement of the year. My heart is full of love and awe for everything he does and every little thing he accomplishes. It's easy for all of us to compare ourselves to others because its just a part of our human nature. Just make sure you take that extra time to appreciate the small things that make each of us special.
The best smile
ReplyDelete